Wednesday, October 22, 2008

NEW WORDS I HATE...

Normally - I'm a sucker for combining words into wildly descriptive, fun new words...

Alas...I have recently come across two that made me throw up a little in my mouth.

Naturally both came from the world of PR and marketing. Naturally.

See I like words like "hilarify" - a tasty combo of terrify and hilarious - meaning it makes me laugh bunches but is really scary for whatever reason!

Sadly - I recently encountered a colleague who called himself a "solutionist." Eeew...
and
A company that used the descriptive word "Communimedia" in their company name.

I preferred Homer's internet venture name - CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reminds me a little of 37signals' Enormicon, created in 2000 during the last gasps of what we used to call "back in the day."

The rush to market, the stupid money, the instant "experts" -- [shakes head]

Also reminds me of The Cluetrain Manifesto's call (in 1999) to speak with and respect each as, uh, individual people.

http://www.37signals.com/enormicom/

http://www.cluetrain.com/

Don't get me started about government/corporate infotainment abuse of language, reason and respect in recent years, grrr.

As Bruce Cockburn sang, "You've got anti-matter language contrived to conceal. You've been lying so long you don't know what's real."

Ah, I'm working myself into a froth. Maybe I need a solutionist....

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading this piece and wanted to share a few words that are overused (in rank order):

Absolutely

Totally

No problem

My bad

Michael Duffield said...

In fact - when did "My bad" become any kind of an acceptable phrase?!?!

THANK YOU!