Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Service with a Shrug© 2.0 – shame on Comcast, Walgreens, Concentrics Restaurants and Trois, and Georgia Power

My first post about service standards, issues and opportunities was much more in-depth than this round-up will be. Though the tales may be accompanied by specific recommendations and solutions for the individual service issues I encountered.

Comcast
Well…wouldn’t you know less than 4 hours after my first post about this conglomerate [who just purchased Daily Candy – by the way] inexplicably raising my rates with no notice, no reason, no increase of service I received an Email from a customer service representative.

The cordial missive asked if they might put me in touch with a local representative since money “…seems like a great concern to you [me].”

Not money. Service.

I wrote back and explained that while money is of a particularly urgent concern for me at the moment – poor customer service shows up more dramatically on my radar. I invited the rep to learn about how my Atlanta payment ended up in Chattanooga and how I had to pay a reconnection fee and how I had to drive 35 minutes to the nearest center to do so....

Interesting. Ms. Melissa never wrote back. In fact, I’ve not heard a peep from anyone at Comcast. Half-assed customer service efforts are more offensive than being completely ignored.

Boo!

Trois / Concentrics Restaurants
I have to get this one off my chest so that I can gush later about Concentrics’ newest Atlanta venture – Parish – which I’ve enjoyed. Sadly – I had been under self-imposed boycott due to the completely unacceptable customer service experience I had at swanky Trois.

One cold winter evening a visiting friend and I had some appetizers and drinks at Trois. Service was swell. Food was good. We asked for some bread to accompany our soup course. Simple. Once we left and examined our check/receipt closely – we noticed that we were charged $4 for two [2] small demi-baguettes – dinner rolls really.

Seemed chintzy and out of character for the company. I logged on to their site and shared my surprise and disappointment via their online customer comment page. Had we just ordered drinks and wanted some bread – maybe charge us. $4 – no. When we ordered 4 or 5 different apps – NO! I thought perhaps I’d get a response and perhaps they’d reverse the $4 from my visitor’s charge card. I mean – at the very least I expected a response. Sadly none came.

Here’s where it gets ugly. Further disappointed I logged back and sent another comment to the company. When – yet again – I received absolutely no response – I decided to remove them from my groovy visitor go-to list. IF you have a comment process on your site – have someone to monitor those comments and respond. If that part of your site is down for some reason – note that on your site. If it’s there and it works and you simply ignore disgruntled guests – shame on you. OK – off my chest so I can enjoy Parish without too much guilt – as their baked goods are much more reasonably priced than the sad rolls we paid $4 for.

Walgreens
ACK. This one really got to me. Thankfully I can shop at CVS and Rite Aid – which I intend to do from now on. Makes me sad since Walgreens is a good, old Chicago company.

I’ll spare you the story of my printer cartridge debacle and the team member that snuck away. I’ll get straight to the point here. I was picking up pictures I had developed. Standing at the photo counter. The person helping me – was several feet away at the register. Standing DIRECTLY in front of me were two other people with their backs to me – making sure, I sensed, that I knew not to ask them for anything. Less than 36 inches away – two people had their own conversation as though I didn’t exist – even engaging the associate attempting to help me.

Someone walked in the store – on the opposite side of the whole space – and asked if they sold lottery tickets. This is where it gets icky. The fellow standing in front of me turned on his heels and said “NO.” Then proceed to tell his colleague that “that’s all we need is those kind of people in here.” He continued – “…besides I don’t like gambling. It really bothers me.” Really?! Do I care? Do I need to hear you disparaging other customers? Is this appropriate? When I joked “Hey! Be careful…my parents live in Las Vegas.” Bitchy again spun on his heels and barked, “Excuse me - I was NOT speaking to you sir!” and returned to his conversation. WHOA! NOW – that’s more than a SHRUG! And – dear reader – make no mistake – when you’re less than 3 feet from someone making loud, judgmental comments about things, other customers, etc. – you ARE speaking to me. And you should think about what you’re saying and how it represents your store – and ultimately – your brand.

Employee training and standards would make a HUGE difference here.

Georgia Power
At first I thought this didn’t exactly fit – but – it actually does. Let me begin by saying that as a responsible adult – if I thought for one moment that my power would be cut on the hottest day yet in the deep, down dirty I would’ve moved heaven and earth to avoid it.

SO – when the Georgia Power site pushed a pop-up disconnect notice at me informing me of an impending service interruption on August 27th – I made note of it. Then about 30 minutes later on August 5th my monitor went black.

One plaintive call later the first snitty rep I spoke with informed me that the cut-off date was, indeed, that day despite the clear and specific notice I had just received from their own site. The explanation was convoluted, senseless and NOT consumer friendly!

Needless to say – I hustled and made a payment over the phone [love my landline and non-digital phone). When speaking with a slightly less snitty rep on my follow-up call letting them know of my payment [for which I was charged a $3.95 processing fee – REALLY?!?!] I was informed, at least somewhat politely, that they’d get the power on as soon as possible today – not specific – but much nicer than the first bitchy reps “Some time before midnight…”

Here’s the rub – BIG companies embracing the web is good for a myriad of reasons and purposes. BIG companies embracing the web but not synching their info, facts and finances – combined with company reps who can’t converse like people instead just repeating scripted answers and phrases – is bad.

That’s digital Service with a Shrug!

P.S. - if the tech turns on the power - but shuts off the box because of a power surge - couldn't the tech walk the 10 feet to my door and let me know and let me know that I need to shut off my breaker box - flip the switch outside and turn on my breaker box? It happened twice - meaning the tech had to visit twice and I had to wait an additional 2 hours until a phone rep [this one quite nice and helpful] explained the situation and how to remedy it. Otherwise - I'd still be sitting in the dark.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Service with a Shrug 2.0" suits this all too well.

Add "Service with a Snarl" for the Walgreen's folks and "Service with a Grunt," and I'm afraid this is how people act more often than not.

Michael Duffield said...

EXACTLY... I just had a conversation about this. Service is all that sets anyone apart really. Commoditization (word?) makes most businesses and retailers the same - so service is key.

So many companies shirk their duty to truly train employees. The chance good experience is far more shocking than the regular poor service experience we've all become to sadly used to...

Anonymous said...

I'm sad to say that the service experience you describe at Walgreens is par for the course here in Chicago.

Anonymous said...

It's not any better out here in California. Walgreens tends to hire the feeble, slightly retarded and totally third-world cashiers. It's actually quite ghetto. For a really good time, try Wal Fart.