Saturday, June 7, 2008

Elotes! Elotes! Elotes! The delicious cry of Logan Square...in East Atlanta Village

HOT summer days on Chicago's near northwest side....

I lived in one of the few remaining historic boulevard neighborhoods in Chicago. It was predominantly single-family - so while much of the city west of - say - Ashland Avenue went through some rough transitions - this elegant area - between Diversey and Armitage, Kedzie and the Kennedy Expressway (or Western Avenue) - was tattered but not torn, per se. I lived there with the multitudes of Latin families and curious others in love with the architecture and the sweeping boulevards and Monument Circle.

One fond memory was the delicious cry of the entrepreneur with his push cart with frozen fruit bars (mango, coconut, strawberry...) and - yes - ELOTES!!!! OR corn.

Not just any corn - but grilled corn on the cob with a schmear of mayonnaise (wait - don't poo-poo it yet) and a sprinkling of cotija cheese and option butter and paprika... At $1 - it was a beautiful thing. A simple thing. A delicious thing. Satisfying and joyful. I'm sure that this treat isn't unique to Chicago...but - it was where I learned about it - one of my favorite street foods!!!



AND... NOW... I found it in the deep down dirty...

Atlanta's East Atlanta Village is a neat blend of shops, bars, independent thinkers and food. Holy Taco is a new addition. Some don't get the taqueria pricing/menu - and moan about the lack of a blop of refried beans and/or salty filler rice with their tacos (TRY THE BRISKET!!!!!). AND - at $3 a pop - the Elotes Asado is more than I'm used to - but - hey - this isn't 1990's Logan Square and it was EVERY BIT as yummy and naughty and fresh and fun as the tasty treat I used to run down the stairs from my third floor flat to buy.

Great patio. Sweet, but refreshing white sangria and Elotes. A perfect summer night.

Holy Taco
1314 Glenwood Avenue
404/230-6177
check out their menu

4 comments:

Deemer said...

I also have a fondness for Logan. It is very different than the rest of Chicaago. It's so funny to hear about your experiences in the city that I now live in. I will always associate you with NYC.

Michael Duffield said...

Funny...

I lived in Chicago for 11 years as an adult - until late-summer 1999. I lived in New York for a little over 3 years - until late-November 2002...

It's rather flattering being associated with New York.

The Bitter Foodie said...

Stop it!

You're making homesick for Chicago!!!

Your apt was amazing!!!!!

XOXOXO

Anonymous said...

Your homeys back in Logan Square miss you and will buy you an old-fashioned elote any time!