Thursday, November 22, 2007

Sharing a table... Sharing memories...

At the risk of being a me-too on this day, I thought I’d take a moment to reflect on meals, emotions, friends and family.

What really got me thinking were two events of the past week… The first that triggered reflection was the passing of Martha Stewart’s beloved mother. Granted – the passing of a 93-year-old isn’t shocking – per se – but this sturdy stalwart was oft at Ms. MSLO’s side and seemed quite vigorous. She also seemed full of joy. Made me pause…

The second event this week that got my gears turning was more sad news I came across online while googling a chef/restaurant I was particularly fond of and learning of his death - too young for a brilliant talent.



Joel and Catherine Findlay owned and operated one of the best restaurants I’ve ever been to – 302 West in Geneva, Illinois. Having left Chicago in 1999 I would occasionally think about the striking, simple room – the restaurant was houses in a vintage bank building – one entered the wine room (if I’m recall correctly) through the bank’s giant safe door. The clean, prairie-inspired, Man-Ray-accented room was soaring and deceptively reserved.

This couple, clearly mad about each other, brought the refined part to diners and caring, involved staff, every day – he - the chef – she - the pastry chef and sexy hostess.

Though I never attended their famous [infamous] sybaritic New Year’s events – Chef several times regaled me with stories of thus lush, joyous evenings.

My mother and I shared a fun, indulgent lunch there that I suspect neither of us will ever forget. MMMM…malted chocolate terrine… They were as passionate about dessert and coffee as they were about every part of the meal. "The last flavor you experience is as important as the first," I recall one of the pair telling me.

Today as I prepare a simple meal in my fab new Atlanta digs, I’m thankful for life, laughter and endless opportunity. I’m thankful for hundreds of beautiful meals with loving friends. Indeed – many of my most treasured memories are of spectacular meals with spectacular company.

A quick – though not exhaustive – list of spots where I’ve shared swell times include: Stein’s in Lyons, The Bakery in Chicago, Come Back Inn in Melrose Park, Barrington Country Bistro in, well, Barrington, Zuni in San Francisco, Chanterelle in New York, Nobu and Hank’s in Las Vegas, Tupelo Honey in Sea Cliff, Bea’s and St. John’s in Chattanooga, and sooooooo many more - all tables of joy and memory. Happy Thanksgiving.


1 comment:

Deemer said...

Thanks for Sharing! Happy Thanksgiving!